At Summerhill we encourage our children to achieve their maximum potential, whilst promoting high standards of behaviour, respect, moral values and self-esteem.
Aims of the School
- To provide a relevant broad and balanced curriculum which promotes spiritual, moral and physical development of each pupil and meets the needs of all children.
- To value, listen to and act upon the voice and views of our children.
- To help children develop a set of high moral values showing sensitivity to the needs of others and responsibility for one’s actions.
- To provide a happy, caring and well ordered environment for every child regardless of gender, ethnicity, cultural background or disability, built upon mutual respect.
- To encourage pupils to develop enquiring minds and the ability to question and argue rationally
- To maintain an attractive, well-resourced environment which stimulates and supports effective teaching.
- To prepare for the responsibility and experiences of life by being able to work both independently and collaboratively in order to develop life skills for a successful future.
- To create a school community in which children, parents, teachers and governors work together for the common good and for the provision of “Nothing But the Best” for every child at Summerhill
- To provide a safe environment which gives highest regard to the well-being of pupils.
- To ensure that pupils achieve highly and progress at a good rate in relation to their capabilities and earlier attainment.
- To provide an exciting and varied programme of experiences to enrich the curriculum.
- To ensure that pupils understand their rights and responsibilities, that they are listened to, and participate in the life of the community.
- To always employ high quality teaching and support staff with the qualifications and experience to meet all the demands of the curriculum, utilizing them to their best effect.
- To ensure leadership is dedicated to ensuring the highest possible standards and achievement in all areas of the school.
- To be reflective, self-critical. innovative, and to articulate a clear vision, which is influential beyond the school.
- To encourage Courtesy, Care, and Confidence.
- To create an understanding of community and diversity which is enriched through the curriculum, visits and meetings with members of local, British and the global community.